Wednesday, November 19, 2008

How I Wash Diapers

There are a LOT of variations on diaper washing. We have been cloth diapering for over a year, and I have to admit that with changes in your DD's intake, sometimes you need to adjust your washing routine. Cloth diapering isn't finite, but it changes pretty frequently so you have to be somewhat flexible. This is our basic schedule -

CrunchyClean is clean rinsing, so you need less washing and rinsing then you are probably used to (and I have a HE frontloader, so adjust accordingly):

1. Cold rinse with no spin to get remainder of poop off and not set the stains in - no detergent (makes diapers heavier so more water in the wash). I add 4-5 squirts of Biokleen's Bacout if the diapers are stinky or super dirty - these are live enzymes, so I don't add often but they do help immensely! If you don't rinse well enough, they will irritate baby's bums so be careful.

2. Hot or warm wash with 1/2 to 1 T of CrunchyClean. If the diapers are super dirty (lots of poops like when she teethes or else I let them sit a few days) I do a hot wash.

3. IF I added bacout, I do an extra rinse. Otherwise I don't do an extra rinse

:)

Happy Cloth Diaper Washing!!

No comments: